(616) 691-8107
(616) 691-8343

Category: General Tax Tips

Magnifying glass showing close-up view of a twenty dollar bill

Information About IRS Notices

It’s a moment any taxpayer dreads. An envelope arrives from the IRS — and it’s not a refund check. But don’t panic. Many IRS letters can be dealt with simply and painlessly. Each year, the IRS sends millions of letters and notices to taxpayers to request payment of taxes, notify them of a change to…
Read more

Statue of lady liberty with sword and scale

Your Appeal Rights

Are you in the middle of a disagreement with the IRS? One of the guaranteed rights for all taxpayers is the right to appeal. If you disagree with the IRS about the amount of your tax liability or about proposed collection actions, you have the right to ask the IRS Appeals Office to review your…
Read more

Man and woman shaking hands

The Tax Advocate Service, Provided by the IRS

Have you tried everything to resolve a tax problem with the IRS but are still experiencing delays? Are you facing what you consider to be an economic burden or hardship due to IRS collection or other actions? If so, you can seek the assistance of the Taxpayer Advocate Service. You may request the assistance of…
Read more

One hundred dollar bills on top of an envelope

Refund, Where’s My Return?

Are you expecting a tax refund from the Internal Revenue Service this year? If you file a complete and accurate paper tax return, your refund should be issued in about six to eight weeks from the date IRS receives your return. If you file your return electronically, your refund should be issued in about half…
Read more

Man pointing out a date on the calendar with a pen

Filing Deadline and Payment Options

If you’re trying to beat the tax deadline, there are several options for last-minute help. If you need a form or publication, you can download copies from the Forms page on our web site. If you find you need more time to finish your return, you can get a four-month extension of time to file…
Read more

A present wrapped in purple wrapping paper and ribbon

Gift Giving

If you gave any one person gifts valued at more than $12,000, it is necessary to report the total gift to the Internal Revenue Service. You may even have to pay tax on the gift. The person who received your gift does not have to report the gift to the IRS or pay either gift…
Read more

Painting on the asphalt to show electric car parking

Tax Credit for Hybrid Vehicles

The Energy Policy Act of 2005 replaced the clean-fuel burning deduction with a tax credit known as the Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit. The tax credit for hybrid vehicles applies to vehicles purchased or placed in service on or after January 1, 2006. Hybrid vehicles have drive trains powered by both an internal combustion engine and…
Read more

Female volunteer holding a cardboard heart

Charitable Contributions

When preparing to file your federal tax return, don’t forget your contributions to charitable organizations. Your donations can add up to a nice tax deduction if you itemize on IRS Form 1040, Schedule A. Here are a few tips to help make sure your contributions pay off on your tax return: You cannot deduct contributions…
Read more

File folders on a desk near a window

Filing an Extension

If you can’t meet the April 15 deadline to file your tax return, you can get an automatic six-month extension of time to file from the IRS. The extension will give you extra time to get the paperwork into the IRS, but it does not extend the time you have to pay any tax due.…
Read more

Women speaking on the phone at a desk

Ayuda en Español

If you need federal tax information, the IRS provides free Spanish language products and services. Pages on the IRS.gov, pre-recorded tax topics, refund information, tax publications and toll-free telephone assistance are all available in the Spanish-language. The IRS Spanish-language page has links to tax information such as forms and publications, warnings about tax scams that…
Read more